Copying What You Love

“There’s this amazing new website called ‘Pinterest’ - so many new ideas! - I think you’ll love it!”

That’s how Diana introduced me to Pinterest nearly a decade ago. She knew I was creative, and loved living outside the box. I loved fashion, decorating and recipes...all the things Pinterest would become famous for, and yet?

I sooooooo disliked Pinterest.  “Pinning” was reserved for those rare days I got to sew, not for hours online.

Because hours online should be spent on Twitter, lol.

But over time, I came to appreciate Pinterest. I had learned that most people cannot “see” what something can be; after many adventures in real estate I finally saw Pinterest as a source of inspiration. I was particularly stumped by a fifteen year old Santa Fe style home; while spacious with soaring ceilings and a beautiful backdrop to a Southwestern collection, few could see past the fact it was overtly a Southwestern home.  Even I was having trouble seeing how to “modernize” the decor; with yellow pine timbers and ceilings dominating the interior.


With the Southwest decor removed, the house was even more confusing.

But Pinterest.

I entered “modern Santa Fe style” and found this:


The all white interior made me think of the Modern Farmhouse....and I wondered:  could I take elements of that style to upgrade an unwanted Santa Fe into one of the most hotly sought after styles in our area?

In the bedroom, paint and soft furnishings would be key.  First job was to pick a new palette for the home, and again, Pinterest inspired:



I don’t know about you, but I see gray, taupe, off white and pale sage green here...

And I found a inspiration photo (or two or three):


This was a bit fussy, but I liked the whites.


This ceiling convinced me to paint the ceiling!


Loved the modern look of the greys.

Given that we would not be buying new furniture, I decided the dark wood (which had a copper headboard) would be best utilized as a statement piece. While overtly Southwest, white soft furnishings would temper it.  I chose soft gray walls to give the room a modern touch, and added a little bit of yellow for a pop  of color.


Soooooo much better!

The new look is a spacious retreat, using existing furniture and carpet. Paint, new curtains, bedspread, pillows and matching lamps completed the look. Vintage pieces were picked up at thrift stores to complete the “farmhouse” vibe...and a piece of Southwest art became a showpiece.  Repositioning the bed in the alcove opened up the room,  and  allowed the best features to be highlighted.


In hindsight, I wonder what this bed frame would have looked liked painted :)

Pinterest: it’s a place for ideas. What I’ve learned is I can go there to get an idea of what you like, and can copy it utilizing things you already own. Paint and soft furnishings have minimal coat but can have maximum impact! Adding vintage pieces greatly cuts down on costs, while being “green” - truly recycling items for use again.  Can’t quite see it? That’s ok. Pin what you love, and I’ll copy it tailored just for you.

Comments

Popular Posts