Empathetic Downsizing

I visited an estate sale on Friday, and was surprised that the owner was present.


I loved her furniture and her books!

Thankfully, I had immediately noted a book on the table I loved, and an easy rapport was established. She was moving in with her daughter on the other side of the country, and had to get rid of her beautiful furnishings.  They were quality pieces, in excellent condition...and she was asking too much. While I was enchanted with several pieces, she hoped to see prices that were unrealistic.  I asked her if she would be reducing prices on subsequent days, and she replied she just couldn’t. At the same time, she saw in me someone who loved what she loved, and offered to “give me a great price” on her dining room set. She was asking $1000 for a 30 year old table with six chairs. Sadly, I had to decline. Although I loved the table (which she had priced separately at $400, each chair was $100) it wasn’t worth that much. I didn’t want to insult her by offering too low, so I allowed her to be distracted by another buyer before slipping out. 

While her furniture was excellent quality, furnishings no longer hold their value as they once did. Antiques (or “brown furniture” as I have heard them disparagingly called) have diminished in price drastically as decorating trends move towards clean Scandinavian lines once again.  At Copy Kate’s, we understand you paid a lot for your collections; unfortunately the reality is that few have held their value. (To read more, I recommend this article:  The Death of Brown Furniture)



When downsizing, it’s important to recognize the emotions and value your possessions hold. That’s why we record the memories and sentiments you share as you chose what to move on with, and what will be sold or given away. It’s more than just “what sparks joy” - as a seasoned collector and museum curator I can assure you that ALL MY THINGS “spark joy!” - it’s identifying what things you cherish, and would miss when gone. Our goal is to see you comfortably settled in your new, smaller place with the very best of your past around you.


Comments

Popular Posts